A free software developer adventure

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Gmail and Offline Calendar

Since a few years, I have been using GCalendar for managing appointements. It is really a nice tool providing all the features I need (email alarms, ical sync...) : http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/overview.html The only real issue I had with it was to access to my appointements offline. As I regularly spent weeks abroad without any internet connection it was really a pain. Thus, I needed to print on PDF the next weeks in order to access to my schedule which is not that nice. Tonight, I finally found a solution, GCalDaemon: http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/index.html And an introduction to using it: http://lifehacker.com/software/google-calendar/geek-to-live--sync-google-calendar-and-gmail-contacts-to-your-desktop-251279.php I can now synchronise all my calendars using Thunderbird and Lightning. This is a real improvement to my way of working.

2 Comments:

  • I use iCal to view and cache the calandar local. All I do is use the live iCal link. Unfortunately this process is only one way. Hopefully when Leopard comes out they will support two way synchronisation through the web cal standard.

    By Blogger Shaun McDonald, at 12:55 AM  

  • I used to use iCal, but stopped & recently switched from iCal to Gmail because of the synchronization problem. It erased appointments I had on my smart phone and made a big mess. I switched to Motorola's Droid and am syncing it with Gmail, it works great (there are other problems with the Droid, but that's besides the point).

    By Anonymous software test consultant, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home